Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining - engage/retract problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Aerospace
Feb 5, 2008
GB
Currently running NX5 and have just upgraded to nx5.0.3.2.
Problem is that prior to upgrade I'd got planar profile paths with cutcomp set with engage and retract as ARCS.
I needed to regenerate all the paths and since then the engage has gone to LINEAR even though its set as ARC. The retract is still ARC move but its set as SAME AS ENGAGE.
Basically Im interpolating holes to size.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think just found answer to my own post.
Have just cancelled the pre-drill engage point and it now arcs on!
This is ok but would like the tool to enter the hole on centre, can this be achieved whilst applying cutter comp?

Sasha,

Good on you for solving it. Just a footnote, cutter comp still worries me even though I've been away from that side of things for some time. From time to time it invites different controllers and machine operators with half a clue to do very bad things.

I once gave a fellow some passing advice about something he was trying to program on may way out the door in a hurry to be somewhere more important to me. The following morning he'd managed to almost destroy a part ten meters long and nearly a meter in diameter. Who'd have thought the figures he was quoting were in inches rather than millimeters!

Regards

Hudson

Sasha,

I can't get both to work together either. (cutcom / start point).
The best I could come up with is to increase the minimum clearance to something JUST less than (hole_dia - cutter_dia) / 2.

I did a 50mm hole with a 20mm cutter, so I set the min. clr. to 14.999mm.

I'll also report this as a 'bug'

Be Well

Tod (1d) Briggs
Manufacturing Solutions Architect
Siemens PLM Software
Detroit, MI

This is what I've always done if I wanted to start exactly in the center of a hole without using predrill points.

1. Hole dia - cutter dia = A
2. A / 2 = B
3. B / 2 = C
4. Set arc engage size to C. Set horizontal clearance to C (NX 5, set arc 90 degrees).
5. Set cutcom minimum angle to 45 degrees. Set cutcom minimum move to sin(45)*C

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back