Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining Handbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexDring

Mechanical
Dec 31, 2002
US
Is there a good practical book for machining that gives good practical tips and suggestions to design engineers? I have Marks and the Machinist Handbooks, but they mostly talk about cutting speeds. The kind of book I am looking for is something that a machinist wrote, having information about what cost a lot, what does not, what features take the longest and what features are easy and hard to hold in machining sense. Any suggestions? I am asking in general reference to have on our shelfs for everyone one to grab during design time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good, and somewhat unusual, to hear a design engineer express an interest in design for manufacturability.

I would suggest that instead of looking for a book, that you get to know the people who design processes and fixtures, select cutting tools, and write CNC programs to manufacture the components you design. Talk to them, ask questions, and really listen. Invite them to design meetings.

I promise, you'll be amazed by what you learn.

I do talk with people of this knowledge. Some of my closer friends are machinist and such from my fabrication days. I keep finding out though the mass of information they know and what I dont know seems to be endless. So I started on the quest to narrow the gap down to increase my knowledge base and to give my customers solutions that are cheaper in the long run to fabricate.

I try to pick there minds during the process of desinging, but usually when I get in the zone I dont leave my desk until its done. Unfortunetly my designs are too far completed when they give a suggestion, or some and most of my work is sensitive and I am not allowed to show it around. Are customers usually pick the fab shop to do the work and getting the machinist in during the design reviews would be hard since a fab shop hasnt been picked yet from the quote process. This is why I was hoping for a book or something of the like already in existence.

I don't know of any books that were not written by engineers, but I would recommend reviewing the following books as they contain some excellent information that Machinery's Handbook does not:

Cutting Tool Applications

ASM HANDBOOK Volume 16 Machining

Tool and Manufacturing Engineers Handbook series (especially Volumes 1 & 6)

The difficulty in answering your question is that different people have a different perspective on difficulty and cost. Quantity per batch will have the greatest effect on choosing a method, and this will determine economics of certain features. CNC verses manual can have an effect on feature type and cost.
You may find out what books that trade schools use for teaching machining helpful.

I would recommend you first learn about what types of processes can be used to produce a part. One of the books I used as a reference when I first became a manufacturing engineer is "Materials and Processes in Manufacturing", by DeGarmo, Black & Kosher. I have found it very useful, but any textbook on manufacturing processes would be a good starting point. There also many published works that explain how to operate machines such as mills, lathes and grinders that might help you to understand better. If I knew exactly what types of parts you design I might be able to better suggest a specific reference or suggest some basic tips.

AlexDring,
Join Society of Manufacturing Engineers. They have a number of handbooks on virtually every process and material imaginable.
They also have a reference service that I have used occasionally and found helpful.

Griffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back