Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining of Tungsten

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakes

Aerospace
Jul 6, 2001
IN
We have a requirement to machine (Turning) Tungsten. Has anybody in this forum machined Tungsten? If so, I'll be grateful if you can share your experience with me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've got some very old literature in my files from Fansteel Metallurgical, the old time experts in Tungsten processing. I'll did it out tomorrow and take a look.

Rakes--I dug out the Fansteel tungsten literature but all it had on machining was "can be machined with carbide or diamond tools" .Not much help. I think I would just treat it like alloy steel of similar hardness and go from there.

It is Tungsten and not Tungsten-Carbide.
Thanks guys, for giving me a start. Shall try with "Tungsten-Carbide" tools and let you know.

regards
rakes

Visited company that was making electrodes for arc lamps. The person that showed us through went to great lengths to explain that some tungsten was radioactive and they only used tungsten that was radioactive.

Safety aspects should be researched.

Just found a comment in the ASM Desk Top Handbook. For turning operations,carbide tools should be ground with a "negative back rake, 15 degree lead and 0 degree side rake". Also on the radiactovity--that would only apply to the thoriated tungsten alloys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back