Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining price

Status
Not open for further replies.

mielke

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2009
US
Can anyone tell me an average hourly rate for subcontracting milling work. Just simple face/ end milling and drilling and chamfering.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

General rule of thumb:

Very Small (no overhead shop) = 30 - $40 per hour

Standard shop w/ overhead and inspection = $60 - $80 per hour.

Large shop and machinery = $150 - $200 per hour.

I agree with Billm1 I use a local (Indiana) medium size shop that charges me 80-120 USD/Hour depending on difficulty of the job. There is a small shop here also for very simple jobs that charges $30/Hour

I would love to use Arun's shop, but then I'd need to ship the product across an ocean or two, and pay the kid who unpacks it at least ten bucks an hour.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike,welcome anytime. What is depressing is the logistics. I know,US companies sourcing compressor housings in China,shipping them to India for machining and then having them sent to US.Thus manufacturing companies in US only perform assembly,inspection and testing.

I'm guessing our drug-addled workforce is at fault.

Yet another previous employer used to buy stainless exhaust flanges from a US foundry and have them machined by a US machining house. We had continuous problems with cast features not being where they were supposed to be, and features machined where the cast material wasn't. We changed foundries and machining houses several times, always with the same results, _plus_ unforecasted delays in shipment because our small quantities didn't always fit nicely in their production schedules.

So we started buying complete machined flanges from China, one source. All were perfect, and on time, and cheaper,
and better looking.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

i would be the same for Italy. average price 50Euro / hour
but since the last 2 years prices are changed a lot.
3 years ago i can worked up to 100-120 euro per hour, at now work at 45-50 is good, i know someone who work for 25 euro/ hour.
i don t know how they can pay operators (on CN machine) , machines, electri etc etc
anyway prices went down alot so people prefer work for 25 euro then don t work, fortunately i can work again for 50 euro per hour, but i lose a lot a lot of requests, that the time, no much work definetly, we hope next year will be better.
hope that can satisfy you

Problem is in the end, the US consumer pays top dollar for the cheaply made stuff as well as the better US stuff.

All I have to do is remember the pet food fiasco years ago.
And people that lost there loved pets over china wanting to make a cheap product. And can think of lots of US companys thinking they saved a big $ going the china route and ending up with huge law suits and tons of junk parts. China companys don't have to worry about a thing, as soon as the product leaves the factory, the only return policy they have is just send it all in the next scrap shipment. Its the US or other countrys, purchasing company that is stuck with the problems the cheap produced product causes. I say its well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back