Machining 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyagaraj A H

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2019
IN
2_jglvoq.jpg

Is it possible to make threaded hole in the above shown fig??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

90 degree drill head.
Product should be revised so that outside holes are bigger than inside hole pattern.

Harold G. Morgan
CATIA, QA, CNC & CMM Programmer

You guys must have 90deg drill heads much smaller than any I've seen, given the dimensions of the part.

I think it would be wiser to redesign unless mass production justifies specialized tooling that won't directly inflate the component price dramatically.

I think there is a 90 degree attachment for a Bridgeport type milling machine that would fit and there maybe some that will attach to a machining center as well. Also depending on the large holes to the right side
and the hole pattern you may get something to do it that way as well. If it is a high production part, I'd be looking at some how getting them to open up those larger holes to the right side for good access.
It sure looks like a ducting valve or fuel valve actuator housing? How close am I?

Bridgeport manufactured an entire line of RA heads over the years. Their smallest is a variant of their "Quillmaster" line of micro-drilling/milling attachments. I was gifted one years ago for my mill and its a neat lil ~1" diameter novelty but dont believe I have ever actually used it. In the link below you can see it a bit over halfway down, mine is the QRA.

As above, oversize the two right-hand side holes to allow
1. Drilling access,
2. tapping access,
3. Screw-tightening access for assembly
4. Screw-loosening access for maintenance later.

BUT! replace the medium-sized center hole of the two RH ports with a 8-bolt pattern further away from the center of each hole (now, you have 8x bolts, but in two bolt-hole circle diameters - one inside the other.) The "port diameter can be the same as now, but the "port" diameter is set by the piece being attached, not by the drilled hole in the housing that is pictured. If it is absolutely essential to maintain port hole diameter and location of the nozzle outlet into the housing, change the attached piece so it matches the current diameter, but has a deeper tip. And, of course, the 8x bolt holes matching the 8x tapped hole in the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back