Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Machinist sayings or "quotes" 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearhunter

Industrial
Jul 9, 2002
US
My Students would like to get some t-shirts made showing there pride in being a machinist. Does any one have a good saying or quote. Serious or funny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are welcome to use the following. We gave it out a lot of years ago and at least one magazine picked it up. I still see it in shops occasionally which is fun. The only complaint I ever had was that machinist are a lot better than I make them out to be.

Tell your students that they are entering a proud and very important profession.

tom

Why I Am A machinist

I am a machinist because when I was young I was told to look around and see who had the kind of life I wanted to have. Then go do the same work

What I found was that machinists are generally much better looking than average. They test out smarter and have more friends.

I heard about some guys from a university who studied machinists in a bar. They found that machinists get approached and generally get lucky about 43 times as often as most folks.

Machinists shoot better pool, catch more fish and don't win the lottery nearly as often as they should. They can work their VCR and set the clock on the microwave. Their kids are brighter, their lawns are greener and their cars run better. Their daughters are prettier and their sons are better athletes. Their spouses are sweeter and their mothers-in -law hardly visit at all.

Machinists do things like save lives and generally make a better world.

Anyway, I looked around and it seemed to me that machinists were clearly superior folk and I would be proud to be one. That is why I am a machinist. That and all the good jobs were taken.

Tom Walz

I like EnglishMuffin’s input, but to add…..
How about:
I’m a machinist…You just Quill me!
“ “ “ Lets play on your Davenport!
“ “ “ One Live Spindle!
“ “ “ Now you know what a Screw Machine is!
“ “ “ I turn it down and take it off!
A Screw Machine? Ask Me I’m a Machinist!
I’m the machinist and I control the Lead Screw!
I’m the Machinist and “That’s close enough for government work”
We’re (I’m a) Machinist, and have worked with the best tailstocks in town!
HAY! You gotta be kidding! I’m a Machinist and that is not an interference fit”

Last but not least :

Last week I couldn’t spell Machinist now I are one!

"bearhunter" You have my permission to modify and use, toss out any or all of the above quips as you see fit.
I hope I did not offend anyone! I'm just having fun.

Much Regards
pennpoint

How about

"Machinist's do it accurately"

"Machinists do it "round and round" and "up and down".

"Happiness is a good tight screw".

In a few years, they'll have this memorized...

We the Willing
Led by the Unknowing
Are doing the Impossible
For the Ungrateful.

We have done So Much
With So Little
For So Long
We are now Qualified
To do Anything
With Nothing.

Also, I see "skosh" is now in dictionaries. Can anyone quantitatively define any of the following?
A hair...
A smidge (or smidgen)...
"Dead nuts"

funnelguy
Everyone can argue that "a hair" and "a smidgen" depends on the size of the equipment, job and the size of the anchoring device or bolt pattern (the target area). As in a bridge pin, a hair or smidgen could be as much as 1" (25mm)or so.

BUT!! No one can argue that "Dead Nuts" is nothing more than "RIGHT ON THE MARK", "BULLS EYE", "ON TARGET", "WRAP IT UP", "ZERO", "OK! LETS GO HOME". "IT'S MILLER TIME", and the last but not least "THATS CLOSE ENOUGH FOR GOVERNMENT WORK" and I'm sure theres more!

Regards

pennpoint

Actually, and in all seriousness, "Dead Nuts" stands for location "00" (zero - zero). or "Right on target".

An old military term. No I'm not that old!

In the Fighter Aircraft comunity we call the First aircraft in the squadron "Double Nuts". Aircraft 100, 200, 300.
Depending on the squadron designator.

To the original question..."Students"
College or High School? I know High School language has gotten worse, but putting some of this in writting on a T-shirt crosses the line.

Maybe I am that old after all.

How about - "Machinists do it with a large Bridgeport"
or "My HAAS is bigger than yours"

penpoint,
I've been asked to indicate to "dead nuts" by any number of people on any number of setups. Pushing the issue to a get a number, I have been told anywhere between .004" and .0002". Neither is truly "dead nuts". I especially like when a set-up required .0004 TIR and was routed across a LATHE with non-repetetive spindle runout of .0003! "Machinists" who only indicate one spot or ignore secondary datums run my blood pressure up, too. Try to indicate to less than .001 on an old VTL with hydrodynamic bearings. Big fun! Why do I provide machinists with micrometers so they can tell me, "It's just a hair under." ? I've never seen a mic thimble graduated in hairs. Wait, I'm in the wrong thread... Numbers, I want numbers!! Sorry to vent... all you other industrial types out there can just wipe those smiles off your faces! [smile]

One way to think of 'Dead Nuts' is in the terms of cylindrical tolerance fits.

On an 1/8" dia location fit it is approx. +-.0003

On a 15" dia the same class of fit is about +-.002"

Maybe 'dead nuts' is really all about perspective!!!

A few I have come up with:
If you break it We can Make.
Pursuing perfecton, acheiving Excellence
A Craft of perfection Due to Perserverance.
Machinist aren't perfect, we have a tolerance.
Your car cost $40,000, So What, My machine cost $150,000 and it will make car part.

Thanks for all your input, this is fun to hear what other chip chuckers have to say.

How about:

"I worked my whole life as a Machinist,
and all I got was Dead Nuts!"
"$00, Zip, Bupkiss"

No Golden Parachute for the workers,
all we get is the Rip Chord. Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back