Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Machinist sayings or "quotes" 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearhunter

Industrial
Jul 9, 2002
US
My Students would like to get some t-shirts made showing there pride in being a machinist. Does any one have a good saying or quote. Serious or funny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My quote (which I made up myself) after constantly being badgered by PITA managers pushing for too much haste is just begging to be printed on a T-Shirt.

"You can have it right or you can have it now, but you can't have it right now"

in fact for many years I have toyed with the idea of getting some printed myself just for the hell of it.

Aw shucks, all the good quotes have been used up.

onernorsk came "closest" on dead nuts. "Dead nuts is generally when you see no indicator movement on a standard .0005 graduated dial indicator. Therefore, less than .0002."

that's "close" onery-one but no bannana. even at my advanced age, I can detect .0002 movement on a .0005 indicator. Dead nuts is +or- zero zip on a tenths graduated indicator. Of course this is grinding tolerance but aren't grinding machines considered machine tools? In other words dead nuts means about the same thing as basic dimension in GD&T, kinda sorta.

What is so unquantitative about a hair. We ain't talk'n Bear hairs or Alpaca hairs. Well maybe bearhunter would. we is talk'n human hairs which average "about" .003-.004" unless it be blonde or redhead which would be about .0015-.002." That's plenty close for government work!

I like the cartoon where the rookie is explaining to the lead machinist: "I admit it isn't in tolerance but you gotta admit it's pretty darn close!"

And then there is the one with a shaft laying on a work bench which has the classical double elliptical crosshatched pattern used on drawings to depict a forshortened long cylindrical part. Except in this case it is drawn in isometric. The machinist has a file in his hands and says, "the O.D. wasn't too bad but the cross section was a real challenge." Wouldn't work on a T-shirt 'cause the average dude wouldna have a clue.

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

I'll never forget when I came home and told my mother that I had made my first part "Dead Nuts". She thought it was an expletive!
Actually I understtod it from the oldtimers as producing tight fitting threads for a nut. This was a real skill and still is on Manual equipmwnt.

this is the quote that my old skilled mentor ronnie barron
told me

"NIL ILIGITIMO DESPERANDO CARBURUNDUM"

DONT LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN

may the laws of physics be with you

regards

One of our guys wore this in the other day:

"GibbsCAM is not on the Bee Gee's website."

Kind of stupid, but it made me laugh. (therefore, me = stupid?)

Here is a t-shirt I had made years ago when I was still machining (engineering now).

"MACHINISTS DO IT WITH PRECISION"

Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

Dead nuts is when you have to check and make sure the indicator is actually touching the work piece.......

Funnelguy, you need to relax.
When a machinist tells you its a hair off, you should count on atleast .003" out of tolerance, if it was only .0002" most wouldnt even come to see you.

I can tell you from experience on both sides. Engineers get sick of the stuff you described and Machinists get tired of Engineers and Detailers that dont know how to apply GD&T.

My favorite quotes: It's not a Church......
Good enough for the Women I date......

You can tell a good machinist by counting is FINGERS!

yOU CAN TELL HOW EXSPERIANCED THEY ARE BUY COUNTNIG THE SCARS ON THEIR HANDS!

In the old machine shop I strated in a Lufkin grey tame measure was king!

SBI
Central Ne.,USA

Maybe a bit much for a t-shirt, but still funny...

There comes a time in the life of every project when you need to shoot the engineer and get on with production.

My favorite is that:

It can be done three ways:
GOOD
FAST
CHEAP
You only get to pick two of the three
If it is done GOOD and FAST it can't be CHEAP.
If it is done GOOD and CHEAP it can't be FAST.
IF it is done FAST and CHEAP it can't be GOOD.

The shop boss at a place I used to work had the good fast cheap saying on his wall. I always wanted to make a teeshirt

Look like a Triangle with each of the words at a vertex.

"PICK TWO" UNDERNEATH....

INSIDE THE TRIANGLE IS A MACHINED PART (PHOTOGRAPH IF YOU WILL)...

Wes C.

Mechanical engineering is intimidating to many people. For some it can not be reduced to practical terms and will always remain obscure.

"Nearside Farside is not a comic stripe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back