Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro to rename ass, sub-ass, parts, drawings... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARamsay

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Hello all,

I frequently have a new project number that is similar or identical to a previous project number for an assembly and all of its parts and drawings.

I was wondering if there is a way in which I can quickly rename a copy of the old files instead of using "save as" for each assembly, sub-assembly, part and their drawing files.

Much appreciated,
Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you "Save As", you can rename all of the files that belong to a single assembly. In the "Save to" menu, click the "References" button. There you can "save As" all of the loaded reference files. You can specify new directories, and do find/replace for parts of file names.

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Thanks for your tip it helps but I cant seem to be able to reference the Drawing files of the parts in the assembly.

Anyway you know of to do that?

No easy way. One possibility (if your project isn't too large) is to have all of the drawing files open the same time you save assemblies and parts. Then, when drawing files undergo "Save As", they are referring to the newly-renamed parts.

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back