Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macros vs. Journal in NX8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCADPOPro

Aerospace
Aug 15, 2014
US
Hello All,

I was searching for an existing forum on this topic, with little success. Therefore I would ask this question.

I am creating a series of macros to simpify things like changing the format size of a drawing (including the imported border), adding part attributes to models and drawings etc... My question is really more along the lines of using a Journal over a Macro. Can anyone shed some light on which one is better or more editable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Richard Andrew
Aerojet Rocketdyne

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Macros are usually version dependent as they are capturing keystrokes/menu picks.
Journals will allow more flexibility, easier to edit and should work with future versions.
VBA or UGopen C/C++ code can also do what you need, but may be more complex in their programming requirements.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Journals allow you do to things like looping and branching fairly easily. Where you might create a macro for each template size you use; a journal could be made to query the drawing sheet size and import the correct template size automatically for each sheet.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks all for the feedback. I have been evperiencing some issues with macros so I created a journal to test adding attributes to models and drawings. Now I want to add them to a User Tool. What is the callout for a journal file for the TYPE to run a journal file? The NX documentation only has MENU_BUTTON, MACRO, GRIP, UFUN, or USRT. Strange thing is i can call a journal file with a customized toolbar in NX. Any Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard Andrew

This is how I call out journal files.

Toolbar File (.tbr)
BUTTON <B1>
LABEL <Label>
ACTION <Path to journal file>

Menuscript File (.men)
BUTTON <B1>
LABEL <Label>​
MESSAGE <Description of button>​
ACTIONS <Path to journal file>​

Just replace what's in the <> with whatever you need and do not include the <> in your file.

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am thinking of converting my old user tools to updated menus. Attached is a picture of my current setup. I am assuming I need to create a new .men file that then points to several toolbar options. Any advise on structure is appreciated from anyone.

Thanks,

Richard

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=649ea475-ee29-4aef-a69b-5e66a5ce21cd&file=drafting_UT.PNG
See attached for an example of how to have nested menus using the menuscript. This is from the NXCustom set of files that I downloaded from the Siemens community forums here. This may not be exactly what you are looking for but hopefully it's useful. I think there is a way to add icons to them as well but I don't know the format for that offhand. I would definitely recommend having a look at the NXCustom setup for your version of NX and see if there is anything that might help/be useful for you.

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e3829d3d-ad26-41d4-abf3-0b4c43805302&file=menu_example.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back