Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mag Drive Motors???!?!?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicSacco

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2000
US
I am looking for a company that can help me with the following problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;I want to spin a shaft inside of a fluid under pressure without having to use a mechanical seal.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have been told to research Mag Drive Motor systems to spin the shaft magnetically.&nbsp;&nbsp;This, in theroy, sounds like a great idea, but I can not find a company with any such products.&nbsp;&nbsp;All I find are mad drive pumps.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Does anyone have any Ideas?<br><br>Nic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your help.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unfortunately I have found many websites with Mag Drive pumps but none with mag drive motors.&nbsp;&nbsp;I need a motor to drive a magnet around in a circle which will in turn drive a magnent connected to a rod to spin the rod in a screwing motion.&nbsp;&nbsp;It must be reversable. I also must beable to drive this magnetic rod through a 1&quot; piece of flat stock metal.<br><br>Any suggestions?

Good luck, I dont think that you can get there from here.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most of the magnetic drive pumps are small, they use permanent magnets and have a plastic or non-magnetic housing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Trying to force a magnetic field through a 1 inch thick plate would probably just dissipate the field.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is no reason why it would go to the other magnet unless it was stronger than the attraction of all that metal.&nbsp;&nbsp;Remember that magnetic flux lines travel like current, &quot;The path of least resistance&quot;.<br>Perhaps you should consider designing a mag drive motor with a very high power electro magnet or get some body to do it for you. <p>Edson Campos<br><a href=mailto:edsoncampos@earthlink.net>edsoncampos@earthlink.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

It looks like you need a custom magnetic coupling design. Try Dexter-Permag they make magnets and also do custom magnetic couplings.<br><br>Edson is right I think you need to address the 1&quot; thick plate 1st.<br><br>Good Luck<br><br>Mark

Check with Lightnin Mixers. They make a bottom entry mag drive mixer that sound exactly like what you are after. These types of mixers are used in pharmacutical applications where absolutly no product contamination or leakage can be tolerated. They also accomodate CIP (clean in place) cleaning capability.

If you are trying to mix something in a vessel, there is a company who makes a mixer that mounts to the bottom, and the stirrer is placed inside of the vessel and is driven by the magnetic coupling between the two. This is usually done with stainless steel vessels, and not carbon. I don't know if they have a product that would remain coupled through 1&quot; steel though. The company is Nov Aseptic, you could try them. My company makes mixers and magnetic stirrers, and we use magnetics to drive stirring rods, but not in that scale. You may have to design somthing with a magnet supplier using rare earth magnets. They can be very helpful, and technically competent.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're looking for. But &quot;hermetically-sealed pumps&quot; or &quot;canned-rotor pumps&quot; are ones whre the motor stator is external to the fluid pressure boundary and the motor rotor, shaft, and pump are all internal to the fluid pressure boundary

On the subject of 1&quot; thick steel.... much easier to transmit flux through 1&quot; of steel than 1&quot; of air.

Can vibration checks to an Ansimag be beneficial, where would be the locations for the transducer, and what is likely to appear in a spectrum when a pump is going into distress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back