Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnesium Hydroxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksprague

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2002
US
Does anyone have any experience injecting Magnesium Hydroxide into a coal fired furnace to aid in the reduction of slag formations? Seems like it works on humans! [wink]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I recall, this was the wonder chemical treatment put out by Appollo Chemical (now defunct?) back in the early '80's... slick salesmen, product may have worked, but the residual plugged up backpasses and preheaters faster than Imodium in humans....

Interested in any experiences contrary....

Those words are hauntingly familiar !!!! Maybe they have ovecome the problems encountered long ago (either that or the players are the same???)... [I know where the Hugo plant is -- I'll have to check out the validity of the report...]

Depending upon the fusion temperature of the coal, adding Mag can help or hurt the slagging potential of a given coal.

Refer to the B&W Stem Book, 40th edition pg 20-8 fig 7. Low levels and high levels of Basic Components will raise the as fusion temperature.

Remember, Cold ESP's do not like Mag. so you opacity might increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back