Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic Coupling for a Pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashchahal

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2002
CA
I would appreciate knowing about the reliability and durability of magnetic couplings to drive a waste water pump.I have a five h.p. electric motor that will pump 100 G.P.M at 40 ft. of head. The waste water is slightly acidic and biologically contaminated. I do not want any chance of leakage thus the reason for a magnetic coupling.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Magnetic drive couplings are non-contact. There is nothing to fail or wear out. Most of the time the magnetic rotor that is immersed, is manufactured from 300 series stainless. The pump rotor must be fully supported, ie, bearings in your fluid. The barrier between the coupling halves must be non-magnetic and a poor electrical conduction (ie don't use aluminum, copper, silver). Barriers are usually 300 series stainless, hastelloy, berrylium copper, plastic,ceramic, or glass.

It depends strongly on what kind of waste water it is, when there are not too many or to large solids in the fluid, no problems should be expected witd a standard bearing cartridge, the coupling is made up of non wearing parts, so the bearing will be the bottleneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back