Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic levitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

paneofglass

Mechanical
May 20, 2003
US
Hey Guys and Gals.. trying to levitate a 750 lb. object... can it be done.. or should I make the object lighter??
My thoughts about using a high strength automotive computer (for stabilization) are only one idea...any help??

The object would be roughly 4’ by 9’ in length….
I want to use the computer to act as a stabilizer by alternating current flow to various solenoids.. or coil guns…..again…any help?

It is said that this cannot be done. Without Sucking the belt buckles off of EVERY Texan from Houston to Dallas, Along with the iron in their blood!! LOLOL
What a pretty sight!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a funny thought on this subject: If all the belt buckles are torn from every Texan, at least returning them would be somewhat simplistic as they usually have the name of the person wearing it on them. LOL Just kidding of course.
I am wondering though, what is the application? Lifting an object using magenetics is easy, really it is.. but what are you hoping to accomplish by doing this? Moving the object about a track or random movements? Is there more information you can offer us that would help us narrow down solutions?

Air bearings are another way to levitate heavy objects, although the levitation is very slight. You can "float" 1/2 ton fixtures around on a mammoth surface plate using only hand pressure. Just a little different twist for you to consider. Ditto on thorn3's comment, maglev is not difficult, permag or electromag.

Check out the website: theverylastpageoftheinternet.com, From the main menu scroll down to see the devices of Jerry Smith. you will find a steel washer suspended in a permenant magnet field at room temp. If you watch the movie there are some interesting magnetic devices.

Researchers at Lawrence Livermore were working on a pulsed field means of train levitation. The first pulse would set of a Lenz field that opposes the incoming one. The next pulse reflects off that field to create lift.

In any event, what your looking for has been done in the maglev train field. You might also get your desired result with a array of SmCo or Nd-Fe-B magnets.

I have seen levitation performed with a unit designed for induction heating. The material that is lifted plays a crucial role of course (must be ferrous). Don't knoa how it worked, but it worked.

Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back