Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowdude

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2000
US
Visit site
Does anyone know of a magnetic modeling software? I am trying to use the strength of one magnet to move two other magnets quite a distance (seperated by 6061-T6 casing) from it. I would like to model this magnetic coupling.<br><br>Regards,<br>Flowdude

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

femm is free
I haven't used it but I hear it is OK

Fen

The preprocessor allows the user to draw parts, specify materials, and so on. DXF drawings can be imported into the preprocessor.

For mesh generation, triangle is employed to create a constrained Delaunay triangulation.

The solver addresses 2-D planar and axisymmetric magnetic problems (including linear and nonlinear magnetostatic problems and linear low frequency harmonic problems). For magnetostatic problems, a Conjugate Gradient solver using a Symmetric Successive Over-Relaxation (SSOR) preconditioner is employed. For harmonic problems, a complex-symmetric implementation of the BiConjugate Gradient algorithm is used, again with the SSOR preconditioner.

The graphical postprocessor allows the user to examine and manipulate the solution. The contour and density plot renderings of the solutions are available. Plotting of various field quantities along user-specified coutours is supported. A number of integrals along user-defined contours and areas are also supported.

A powerful scripting language, Lua, is integrated with the program. The scripting language allows for batch runs, creation of animations, dynamic simulations, and so on.

There is no hard limit on problem size--maximum problem size is limited by the amount of available memory.

I tried some problems at home in FEMM and compared to MagNet which I use at work. Do not trust the magnetic property data supplied with either program but MagNet data is much better. FEMM did not properly blend the B/H curve to the &quot;air line&quot; at high induction levels, gave wildly over optimistic results. Could probably be fine tuned out with proper material data. Also, FEMM only does static solution. I really prefer MagNet but you can't beat the price of FEMM.

I use ANSYS, Maxwell and FEMM in our project.
ANSYS is very very good, has very complete fascilities (libraries), but it is very complicated. For example, it has more than 150 element types. It is almost not like a tool, because everything should be defined by user. So, it is not a user-friendly software. It has also poor fascilities in drawing.

Maxwell is user-friendly software. Many people use this software to analysis, for their project and research.

FEMM is easy to use, simple and free. It can be used to simulate 2D static for electromagnetic and electrostatic problem. Latest version (V4) is under development.

Another useful fascility is macro. Both Maxwel and FEMM have a better macro facility.

Wijono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back