Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic Permeability of stressed SS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron07663

Electrical
Aug 7, 2001
US
I am designing a deep drawn SS can to be a shield for a magnetic sensor. We need the relative permeability of the shield to be as close to 1 as possible so as to not interfere with the sensor. Annealed 304 or 316 SS should be on the order of 1.0 to 1.02. What can I expect the permeability value to be for stressed 304 and 316?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I were doing hulls I would want more austenite stability and pitting resistance than 304 has to make sure no SCC or perforation. What thicknesses are such hulls, if you can say without violating the "secrets act"?

The Navy did make two SS mine sweepers during WWII but they had cracking problems so they went back to wood.
The Calypso was a ex wooden mine sweeper.

As posted above its an ongoing thing of who is the better at hiding, finding, or blowing up the other, with this work being carried out not far from me. They don't kill as many fish as they use to as electronics have taken over.

Vanteen
This topic is worth a separate thread. It of course depends upon which grade of stainless, but so are actually anti-ferromagnetic near 0 K.

As far as AL6XN for naval vessels, I understand they are getting some major attention because of their superior resistance to explosions ( as distinct from projectile penetration ) and their better acoustic signature than other non-magnetic materials. This alloy beats titanium and HSS armor plate materials.

I thought I would follow up on this thread and basicly close it out.
We ran sample parts out of our deep draw tool of both 316 SS and 305 SS. The 305 was selected for Ni content of 12% or greater.
The 316 parts had a measured permeability of 1.15 right out of the tool and 1.0003 after solution anneal.
The 305 parts measured 1.003 right out of the tool.
Our specification required 1.05 MAX. So, if 316 were used, we would require a post draw anneal.

Thanks again for everyones help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back