Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnetic Power 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcguirepm

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me if magnetic power is additive or something else? If I have a flat magnetic sheet and I add a second sheet does the magnetic attraction to surrounding objects double?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if it's an exact 1-to-1 increase, but I've seen instances where adding multiple identical magnets increases the magnetic field. For example, we have products which use a magnet to trip a reed switch. In testing of a new product it was found that the magnet initially specified didn't reliably trip the reed, but adding multiple magnets achieved the desired result without decreasing the spacing between the reed and the magnet.

Side by side, yes. Back to back, no.

If two magnets have a pull of 2 lbs ea., then two of them side by side can lift 4 lbs, since they act independently, just like suction cups.

One magnet behind another will not multiply attractive force proportionately. If this were true then longer magnets would be proportionately more powerful than shorter ones, which is not the case.

And remember that magnetic sheets are not really true magnets like solid ones, with a north and south pole. They have been magnetized in spots on the surface with alternating N and S areas.

Don
Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back