Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Magnetizing metal patches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher81

Industrial
Jul 5, 2012
CA
I would interested to know if there are industrial machines out there that are able to magnetize strips of metal.
The end objective is to have production teams use theses as patches where steel has worn through while waiting for a more permanent patch to be made / or replacement, by the maintenance team.

Many thanks for your help out there

Christopher

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming the 'strips of metal' are carbon steel, it is a very simple matter to run them through a magnetizer. The problem is carbon steel will not retain much magnetism and won't stay in place afterwards. You need to use a permanent magnet to make it practical.

Thanks Mike for your answer. Is there other steel types that will retain the magnetism? I'm looking for something that will hold up at least a month.
If not, you mention permanent magnets. Is it possible to buy sheets of permanent magnet and cut them up in strips of metal with an iron worker? If yes, where could I get the best value?

Thx

Christopher

There are no other types of steel that will retain magnetism like permanent magnets. They are your only option. Having said that, it should be easy to purchase thin strips of flexible permanent magnets, just like the ones on the backs of inexpensive refrigerator magnets. The flexible strips can be then cut to whatever size you need and attached to the edges of the steel to hold them in place.

How is the steel being "worn through?" Anything that wears down steel can probably move a magnetized patch.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

The wear is through abrasion. I am in the cement manfucturing business and cement is quite abrasive. When conveyed through conveyors & transfers chutes, wear does occur on mild steel, and leads us to areas where the steel becomes paper thin, then a hole appears leading to leakages.
As the usual flow rates can be anywhere from 100 tons per hour to 500 tons per hour, even a small hole will rapidly create a leak - thus leading us to have to stop the equipment and wait for a welder to get set up to weld a patch. Production is lost in the meantime.
I have contacted buymagnets.com and will purchase a few ceramic magnets (0.125 x 6 x 10) grade 8 to see if it can work. I'm pretty confident it should work. Delivery is in a week. I'll post feedback if any good. Do prompt me if I don't... :)

Hope ceramic magnets work. otherwise, there exit ductile permanent magnetic alloys, e.g. Fe-Co-V/Cr. whihc can be made strip/wire forms.

Thanks Ben, actually I'm ready to go for comparative testing at this stage, between ductil & ceramic magnets. Would you know where I could source strips of ductile magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back