Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

magnetron microwave launcher design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfDrK

Materials
Feb 12, 2006
US
I plan to direct the output from an oven magnetron from a launcher/horn combination to dry wet soil as efficiently as possible. I have played with a couple of launchers, but despite an auto tuner showing no reflections, the (aircooled) magnetron overheats (over 100 C in a couple of minutes). When mounted back into the oven, it levels at 90 C. I think airflow is not an issue in my configurations. I noted two launchers have a grid of small holes and a dimple opposite the emitter on the sidewall of the waveguide..for what benefit? I will make another launcher and want to know besides the 1/4 wavelength back standoff, is there a trick I am missing that prevents overheating? Should the exit flange be placed at 1/2 wave from the emitter or is 1 lambda better? or is some other fraction better? All hardware is W284 size and I wonder if it shouldn't be bigger?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back