Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Magnets used for mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwuwien

Automotive
May 3, 2007
AT
Are magnets actually used for any kind of mounting? If yes, how does this work and how much weight can they handle? How much space do they need?
thanks for answers/suggestions!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear MagMike

sorry for being to general! we are looking for solutions on how to mount a forklift onto a truck (as already posted in this forum) and therefore want to know if there are any existing magnetic mounting systems in analogous fields which could be used for our problem, too.

David,

There are magnets which could probably hold a forklift. However the power and weight would discourage their use mounted on a truck. I'm assuming you want an electro magnet so that you could release the forklift.

I suppose a bit more information on the purpose and how you might want to hold the forklift would be useful for more serious answers.

Mike

There are lots of PM based holding devices. Ranging from simple latches to bases for vibration sensors.
One of the sensor bases is very simple, a block of Alnico 5 about 1/2"(M) x 3/4" x 1" with two pole pieces 1" x 1.5" x 1/4". Put them into an Al cup about 2" diameter x 1.5" tall, fill with resin to hold it all in place. The pole pieces stick out about 1/4" and the back of the cup is tapped for mounting. The result is a holding strength of about 50lbs.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

The existing solution for the mounting of the forklift looks like this: there are two retaining brackets which hold the forks of the forklift. The user then drives his forklift into these brackets and the machine lifts itself up the truck. Additionally, the forklift is secured by various belts and straps, which are quite complicated to deal with. Therefore the possiblity of additional security through magnetic mounting sounds interesting as a solution. It would be especially nice if the magnet was strong enough to hold the entire weight of the forklift, because then the hydraulic system of the forklift would not be stressed during the whole journey (the forklift weights about 2 tonnes = 4415 lbs, i assume?)
Ideally, the solution needs to be very small, because the space on the truck may not be minimized, otherwise the solution would become to expensive for transportation firms.

It would take quite a magnet to do that job.

I would think that you would be money and time ahead to look into a mechanical lock system. Such that when the forks are put into the brackets a latch engages using holes or notches in the forks.
I thought that the fork truck itself sat on mechanical stops during transit. Maybe a system where placing the forks into the locked position also extended a hard mechanical stop. In that way you would have to raise the forklift in order to unlock it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Wrecking yards use electromagnets for lifting autos onto the compactor, but that takes A LOT OF JUICE.

Moreover, magnets, like superglue are primarily designed for normal forces and are relatively weak in shear, e.g., you cal slide a magnet off an oject, but you might not be able to directly lift the magnet from that object.

I'd likewise vote for mechanical clamping.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back