Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintaining Revsions of CAD Assembly, Parts List, and Assembly drawing. What are folks doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apekim

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2007
US
I am curious how other organizations are handling/managing the Revision letter of the CREO CAD assembly, the Parts list structure, and the assembly drawing. Does the CAD model assy match the parts list revision or the assembly drawing revision? or are all there maintained at the same Revision?

Thanks,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The assembly structure in any form, CAD file, drawing, BOM or Windchill structure are always at the same revision level.
All part models and their drawings are at the same revision level.
The assembly may have multiple parts at different revision levels.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Ben,

So in your configuration, when you need to make a change (revise) to just the assembly drawing (perhaps to just add a note or correct a spelling error, you are forced to also change (revise) the revision of the parts list structure...correct? In your case, the same would be true if for some reason you need to change (revise) the parts list for some reason, even if it has no affect on the assembly drawing, you still need to revise both.

I have worked at organizations that have managed revisions in both ways: 1) The assembly drawing is a separate revision and can be revised independently from the parts list revision. The methodology here is that the parts list maintains the collection of parts that make up the assembly, and the assembly drawing just instructs the assemblers on how to install/arrange the parts. 2) all kept at the same revision. Obviously, this approach would slightly add cost when a parts list change had to force an assembly drawing change.

Mike

Since we carry the BOM on the assembly drawing, any change to the BOM, notes, or component positioning will result in a revision change for the drawing and assembly (and WTpart).
Windchill is used to keep all items in sync.

If there is a change to a component part or sub-assembly, we revise up the structure until there is no visible change to the drawing views or the BOM/Notes on the drawing.

I am sure that we release many part files that do NOT get updated into their parent assembly, but we do try to catch them when they come through the Configuration Management group for release approval. I wear more than one hat here: Creo and Windchill Administrator, CM approver, manufacturing engineer, and sometimes design checker.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back