Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintaining Time Standards 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyIE

Industrial
Aug 24, 2005
US
I am looking at validating some established time standards (which were developed by time studies). I am trying to determine the protocol or plan for deciding whether a time standard needs to be updated based on actual readings (samplings), e.g., the actual readings are consistently XX.XX% higher than the original time standard.

Does anybody have any insight or know of any publication which will point me in the right direction?

Thanks....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We formally take a look at our time standards on an annual basis for cost accounting. If we can show the cause for a standard time change (either for the better or worse), our accounting and planning departments are willing to update the standard accordingly.

In your case, is there an identified cause as to the consistent increase in the time required? Is it preventable? I do not know of any publication(s) that would give you an adjustment protocol. I would approach your scheduling/accounting departments directly and ask what they need in terms of doing a standards update.

Regards,

Iam having a problem with setting up new standard times because,the machine that Iam doing my obsevertions on is manually operated. the times include machine run time,machine set up time that takes 4hrs just to set up. my allowances include:machine down time,breaks and setups

The problem is with the amount of time for setup or that it is manually operated? The setup needs to be part of your standard time for the run. Unless the machine is dedicated to only a single part, setup needs to be considered in the standard for every unique part run. This gets amortized over the run quantity so if you do a single part, it represents a large percentage vs a 100 or 1000 part run.

Are there several operators that run this manual machine? If so you should do time studies on them individually and then take a look at the results. From there you can decide if a straight average could be used or if there are "outliers" in the data.

Regards,

Regarding your question in relation to
[green]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helpful Member!NavyIE (Industrial)
24 Aug 05 13:18
I am looking at validating some established time standards (which were developed by time studies). I am trying to determine the protocol or plan for deciding whether a time standard needs to be updated based on actual readings (samplings), e.g., the actual readings are consistently XX.XX% higher than the original time standard.

Does anybody have any insight or know of any publication which will point me in the right direction
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/green]
The correct way to validate a time standard is to compare the method performed on the original form with the method currently being done.
If the actions are different to the ones described then the process needs to be investigated.
If you do not have the original time standards sheets then you need to regenerate them.

If you take a sample say of all the steps are as described in your post, then a investigation is warrented.
The investigation needs to identify why the times have changed.
For example a faulty machine or poor tooling or bad operator habits.

It is not best practise simply to incease the times without understanding the cause.

Joewski
Melbourne Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back