Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maintenance Access Path for Box Culverts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A56

Civil/Environmental
Nov 15, 2004
US
Hi. I'm working on a flood control project whick calls for the replacement of five tidegate culverts with a triple cell box culvert. The owner wants a maintenance access path, one on each side of the ditch, for seasonal cleaning of the proposed RBC.
The issue here is that the site is phragmite-infested, and this is huge part of the reason why the cleaning crew can't even get access to the pipes. Due to this problematic situation, the owner wants an access path that is maintenance-free, i.e., phragmite-retardant.
One engineer suggested using a geotextile overlaid by inorganic fill and tacked down on the sides with pressure treated timber. I have been to sites where the geotextile is hard to locate due to plant overgrowth, so I am soliciting improved ideas. I would really appreciate if anyone could share their knowledge and/or experiences on successful projects on maintenance free access paths to culverts. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmm maintenance free? That may be difficult. Even concrete lining may crack and require maintenance. I would look at a rigid or semirigid pavement. Since I do not know the area or environmental concerns for the area, is concrete an option or even asphalt? Wait what about a chip seal? They both may require a little maintenance but not to the extent of over growth etc... Good luck!

I have done a number of flood control projects where we constructed access ramps using soil cement - which was also used to armor the banks of the river. If constructed in a thick enough layer, it is virtually maintenance free.

Hi cvg. Soil cement--thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that. The only problem is, is there a certain slope range within which it will adhere to the soil interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back