Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Maintenance Texts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCovey

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2003
DE
I'm in charge of engineering and maintenance at a midsize facility. I believe that we've got a fairly effective maintenance organization that is primarily PM based. However. . . I also feel that we are somewhat stagnant and need to take the next step and I'm in search of that step. Would anybody have any texts that they could recommend that would give me ideas? Terry Wireman seems prolific in this area and there are a few such as Richard Palmer's Maint. Planning and Scheduling Handbook and John Campbell's Uptime that sound good.

I'm also interested in learning about possible metrics to use to quantify the benefit of maintenance and maintenance expenditures.

Thanks all,
Covey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Covey,
I just puchased NFPA-70B for electrical maintanance. So far I like what I see.
You might also want to check with all your equipment or machine manufactures to ensure all the PM reqiurements are being met, and you havent missed any technical bulletins that they have issued, lately.

Regards,
Afterhrs

Take some courses in business. Sounds corny, but the disconnection between plant physical and business ideology can lead to percieved stagnation. Your situation may or may not be ideal for the economic structure of your process. Make sure there is clear reason to press further.

From the reading I've done it seems like those who work in the realms of "lean manufacturing" are on the leading edge of PM. They're the ones who have intentionally stripped away the buffers of inventory, extra capiticy, etc. and have implemented systems for extremely reliable production.

I'd suggest you go to and post your question in their discussion forum. You will undoubtedly get a huge amount of very useful feedback.

Steven C. Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back