Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

make drawing from part problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

altnickee

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2005
NL
Hi,

I have opened a part from witch i want to make a drawing,when i go to file i click the make drawing from part button,i can drag the part view from the right side of my screen into the drawing sheet.

the problem starts when i want to dimensioning the part, for some reason i can not dimension the cut-extrude 2.

i have tried auto dimension/ad dimensions/smart dimensions.

are there any tutorials for dimensioning a part in a drawing?

i have tried auto dimensioning, but ended up with so many dimensions that made everything to complex.

Toolmaker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Altnickee,

The problem you are having is that when you cut a circle through the cylinder, the profile of the cut on the outside surface of the cyllinder is no longer a circle. It becomes elongated and distorted. So, it is now a complex 3D curve, and a simple diameter dimension for that arc cannot be created. (Although it still appears like a circle from the side view)

My suggestion:
Create a Cross-Section view directly thru the center of the part. In your new view, the cut is now still a true circle and can be given a diamteter dimesnion. And you can also dimension to its center to properly locate it.

Hope this helps.

You could also "show" the sketch that is used to create the cut. The sketch could then be dimensioned.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back