Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Make Up water demand 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDR1985

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2010
AU
Hi to all.

I need some advice on this.

The location is somewhere in middle east and the facilities were already built. Air washers were used to air condition some facilities and total make up water was calculated to be 120m3/day based on peak temperature of 55C.

Note that the location is in the middle of the desert and this will have no permanent water connection, so water is supplied by water tankers daily. But the peak demand will only be for maximum 2 months. There will be cooler seasons throughout the year.

Is it correct to collect the temperatures for each month or week all throughout the year and calculate the demand for make up water per month? In this case the actual demand of water will not be fixed 120m3/day, this will save some money for the client.

Or is there any other better approach on this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be awesome if the world would operate exactly per the tables and graphs; but, as with the stock market caveat, historical behavior does not necessarily predict future behavior.

What sort of delivery schedule are you planning on? The delivery interval should dictate your storage and reserve requirements. It should be up to the site management to keep track of the usage and order replenishments as required.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

ZDR1985,

First of all, an air washer is not a swamp cooler.

Swap coolers rely on evaporative cooling and are used in dry arid areas to reduce the supply air temperature. Leaving air temperature will be near saturation.

Air washers deliver chilled water directly to the air washer spray nozzles.

If the entering air dew point temperature is above the leaving air dew point temperature, water will be removed from the air (Dehumidification).

If the air washer is dehumidifying the entering air, then the removed moisture will cause the water basin to overflow.

The only time make-up water will be needed is if the entering air temperature dew point is less than the leaving air dew point temperature.

The make-up water required is based on the saturation efficiency of the spray nozzle section and the entering/leaving and leaving speciic humidity and air flow,

See the air washer sections in the ASHRAE Fundamentals and ASHRAE HVAC System and Equipment Handbooks

@LowDeltaTSolver
The entering air dew point is less than leaving air dew point.

@IRstuff
Daily delivery, but I am trying to show the monthly changes, as of now this is just to assess what sort of delivery plans to implement and in future might change.

I think you would need at least hourly temperature and humidity to get decent data for an estimate.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back