Making A Custom Pilot Bearing for a Custom Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenToro

Student
Aug 5, 2024
US
Hello Everyone,

My name is Allen and I am working on putting an engine into my car that's not supposed to be there. The one custom part I need is a pilot bearing or bushing to hold the inputshaft. This car is a transaxle so it has a torque tube. To get the end of the input shaft from the torque tube to be supported from the engine side I wanted to know some information. I decided I wanted to make the bearing a bushing instead as it's easier to make custom and more forgiving on alignment. The big problem I'm running into now is how do I correctly tolerance this part. How much of an interference do I need to hammer the bushing home tight enough but not too tight and how much clearance do I need for the shift on my ID for it run freely at high speeds but not be sloppy and cause vibrations or clutch misalignment?

Thank you for your help, Let me know If you guys need more info!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP
Go to a rebuilt machine shop, and have them recommend a tolerance and to make it. It may require bore gages or sunnen gage to inspect it. It may require a very precise fit. .0005 clearance. And very concentric as well.
If you have equipment to hold .0005 tolerance good luck.

Lubrication of a bearing may be a more difficult issue than tolerance.
Or use the existing or stock pilot bearing and have your shaft machined to fit. (Or shim it up with a press fit, non rotating bushing.)
How about the spline to match the clutch disk?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back