Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a stupidly simple part. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnmorgan

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2005
US
I am the part designer, not manufacturer. I have a very simple cylindrical part, with particular importance to the inner and outer surfaces. It is basically a sleeve bearing. Our manufacturer is, for some unknown reason, having trouble meeting the requirement for the surface finish of the ID. Could you suggest proper tooling or method for them to accomplish this. If not, could you suggest where I might find such information. I intend to specify exact tooling for them to buy and use to give me the parts I have designed. The part is produced from C.R.S. and plated afterward. I have included a portion of the print, for reference.

If there is further information required for you to make a suggestion, please feel free to ask.

Much obliged,
Byron Morgan

Byron Morgan - Tupelo, Mississippi
1947 Mayline
SolidWorks 2008
NX4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of the trade magazines recently had an article about work coming back to the US for those reasons.

Personally I’ve seen a lot of great prototype and first run parts followed by some unusable deliveries.

I don’t know how long you’ve been doing this but you seem really bright and you sure learn fast. You’ll do well although you will never entirely get away from shortsighted people.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

I would just like to second BobM3's wiper insert suggestion and add that a second pass with no additional infeed may still remove material due to deflection during the initial finishing pass.
Granted I've been in the industry less than a year, and echoing what has been said, when a company accepts a part contract they should know how to operate their tools and be able to make the part. A 32 finish callout is not exorbitant by any means. I would expect the machinist to know in his sleep any suggestions you might give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back