Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making "permanent" plastic bubbles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciguyjim

Chemical
Jun 12, 2002
US
I know this stuff exists and I've done much net searching but I can't find a name for a water soluble plastic-like polymer that can be used to make relatively strong and permanent bubbles for kids to play with. Maybe someone here knows.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi sciguyjim

Try polyvinyl acetate (PVA). It is dissolved by water (becomes milky white suspension)and easily dissolved by a number of organic solvents eg acetone as a clear liquid that dries to a clear plastic. Many fibreglass & resin sales outlets sell it as a brush/spray on liquid-to-film mould release. I don't know the toxicity of PVA and you would certainly need to check this before trying it. Hope this helps you.

Thanks rhc, that sounds like it could work. I'll give it a try.

I would check polyvinylalcohol, too. <nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

you can buy that stuff in most toy store and large supermarkets here in Denmark (and its imported)

Best Regards

Morten

MortenA,
Do you have a name for the product so I can look it up? I can get more info if I have the name of the manufacturer. There might even be useful info on the ingredient label. I appreciate your input, thanks.
Jim.

If these are the same semi-permenent bubbles I've seen they smell like they have white glue added to the soap, and after they are eventually popped the dried residue seems to resemble the skin left behind like white glue.

RhondsG, I think the white glue should work as long as the bubbles last long enough to dry out sufficiently. I have a sister who entertains little kids at times and I thought more permanent bubbles would more fun for them. I looked up polyvinyl acetate & that is the stuff used in white household glue. Many years ago the magazine Scientific American had their Amateur Scientist section about making bubbles which were more like a real plastic, as I recall, but the process was more involved than kids could handle. I wonder if my sister will expect me to do the formula experimentation?

Kewlness,
What you see here is the best info I've been able to find on the subject of long lasting bubbles. For more ordinary bubbles, using a soap like Dawn dish soap, adding some glycerine to the formula, and letting it age overnight before use seem to be the most common adjustments to get good bubbles.

sciguyjim

I think you got on to something with your &quot;long lasting non permanent bubbles&quot; glycerine comment. It made me think how would gelatine or room temp setting agar agar go. Being such a thin film one of them might emulate a rapid set polymer.
Has anyone tried either?

rhc,

Good idea, I hadn't thought of those. Sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back