Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

making springs compress in a simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeliMawr

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2003
BE
Hello all again

Is it possible (and how) to make springs (like valvesprings) compress en extend in inventor 9? I have found a way by linking an excell sheet to the parrameters but there has to be another way to simulate springmovement. Anyone have a clue about it?

Greetz

Beli Mawr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

alpharam...

I have tried to follow the instructions above...however...when I select the driven dimension for the coil height, the dimension reference is not dXX, it is the the dimension attributed by Inventor. In this case d3. When I insert the coil into an ass'y and try to drive the constraint the cannot solve'''' message appears.

Does the driven dimension have to be dXX in order to be driven in the assembly?

And

Do the work planes need to be constrained in the assembly or can a flat surface on the coil be used instead?

Thanks in advance

Hydromech

hydromech,
dXX is a pretty wild guess in this procedure, it works exactly the same for d3 or any other number of digits, sorry for that. I can't see your design, but generally you would have 4 constraints involved:
1. workplane A to part 1 (any part).
2. workplane B to part 2 (other part).
3. part 1 to part 2 - driven constraint, the one you drive to see the simulation (this constraint would probably be there already, unless you created the coil at the first place).
4. coil axis wherever needed (this is design specific, so I didn't mention it before) - optional.
Check this and see if you didn't create any extra.

I won't recommend constraining a flat surface of the coil (unless you know exactly what are you doing), the workplanes are part of the coil, so they will do the job.

alpharam

I can get the coil...it has a variable height assigned by the driven dimension in the coil parameter.

I have an assembly with a constraint between two flat faces on two seperate parts...it's all straight forward until now.

I can drive the constraint...all works fine.

I insert the coil...make it adaptive...O.K

When I constrain the work plane to a surface...I can only select one side of the work plane. This flips the coil over. When I try to constrain the other adaptive work plane...nope..no way...you can't do that...it tells me.

I've even tried the "flip normal" button for the work plane settings...but that upsets the coil.

If I have a set constraint in the assembly and then try to constrain the coil work planes to the same faces...it wont do it. I expected to see the coil stretch or compress to fit...but nope...it just wont do it for me. Drive adaptivity is ON.

Don't get me wrong. It's me, not Inventor thats at fault...unless IV10 doesn't do adaptive coils.

I'm telling ya man...it gunna go out the window...I'm gunna do it.

HELP!

Hydromech

Theres more...

Never one to give up...I tried again.

This time constrained coil workplanes to face on parts with existing constraint...guess what happened...The coils workplanes moved...but the coil itself..? Nope that wouldn't go.

Still hopefull...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back