Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Man basket ( cage use to put stretcher in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanhunt118

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2012
GB
Guys, need some advice.

I am sure you have heard about man basket. Those cages that use chains to lift and transport personnel. They are used on construction site and also in large trenches. I attached a photo. the cage is made of steel metal.

As you can see the door mechanism lifts vertically and then slides horizontally to the top of the cage. So they have rails that guide the door to do this. There is only one door as you can see from the photo.

I was thinking, taking consideration health and safety laws, would there be another way of designing or use other mechanism to open and close a door ? As there some contractors complaning that the door slides too abrubtly and can crush people's feet.

i came up with an idea of putting little dampers to the sides to slow the slide, but this will just get damage on site or will get damage when we repair them as we shotblast them.

Any thoughts /ideas would be appreciated please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's tough to see the door mechanism in your picture. Can you post a closer shot of it?
How `bout putting a 6" steel block under the door, so that when it slams shut it hits the stops instead of toes?

you work at a construction site ... the solution has to be (literally) bullet-proof.

i like the 1st suggestion ... it'd stop before it crushes any work boots.

it looks like you could use a torsion spring, like a garage door opener

the catching point is the doors comes in 2 parts, thats how it was designed to be able to lift vertically and horizontally along the angle rail.

is there no safer way to have that door in one unit being safer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back