Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing a few files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid2

Industrial
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Right

This might not sound too difficult to most of you guys but I've been having some real problems managing my files. I've just started using some complicated assemblies, but I have trouble working out what is referenced to where.

Basically I start with an IGES import that changes to an assembly, and then I can right click on the part and start editing what I want. I use the same model as a 'control file' so that I can refer back to it as an original and reload it later if and when I make a mistake. However, every time I go back to it and reload it, it either alters to the new changes I've been making in the new file (that I have since saved) or reverts to something different.

Require help rapidly as am now pulling my hair out wondering the best way to organise this mess.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to make seperate configurations for each iteration of the assembly. To do this, open the configuration manager, RMB the title at the the top and LMB Add Configuration. One caveat though, sometimes suppressing parts in this mode will lead to assembly errors.

Regards,

Ray Havermahl
Engineering/Design
Independent Engineering Laboratories, inc.

You might want to go into help and in the index type in reference, then scroll down to referenced documents, search for. This explains how SolidWorks looks for referenced files. It is some what confusing and combersum but as soon as you understand it things become a whole lot clearer as far as where the assemblies are getting the files from.
BBJT CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back