Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manual Standpipe Control Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

coarts

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2006
US
If you have a parking garage with a manual standpipe system [just fdc supplied] with five risers, is there a purpose in putting riser control valves at the bottom of each? I understand the need to isolate a riser in a wet system, but does NFPA 14 require them if it is just manual with no water in it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have ran into this a few times recently.
My attitude is if there is no constant supply then isolation valves are not necessary.
Four out of five AJC's agreed.
Ultimately it is up to the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

If we all agreed, we would be Communists. - Me

One more question. We have a wet riser system. water is charged direct from yard main. Standpipe is furnished with isolation valve. At each floor level we have hose cabinets with Landing valve. Do I need an additional isolation valve at each Branch line? Is it allowed acc. Acc. NFPA 14.

In case, leakage of landing valve how can we replace the landing valve without interrupting the water supply to other zones? If I close the isolation valve at standpipe I have no water at other floors? any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

I have always followed nfpa 14 and each riser needs a control valve (as the base) for service so the rest can be used for a fire condition, in the case of additional hose outlets ON a floor no additional isolation valve is required as that standpipe is considered much like a tree system (or a floor system) you might need a fire watch while that riser is out of commision

Jigjag, by landing valve, do you mean a floor system control valve, or fire department hose valve? After many years of repair and service of multi-floor buildings, if you have to shut the whole thing down to fix one small problem, that's the way it it is. I concur with spkreng as to the fire watch when you have so many floors out of service. But that cost could be re-cooped or put off on the property owner.

If we all agreed, we would be Communists. - Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back