Manual Valve Management System

Status
Not open for further replies.

arieleb

Chemical
May 12, 2014
US
Hello all,

I am process engineer at a NGL Fractionation plant. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to manage manual valves. A reoccurring issue we have run into is turning incorrect manual valves during lineups or maintenance. On complex systems/skids there are many manual valves that may need to be opened or closed and often times the wrong valve is turned accidentally which could possibly result in an incident. We are trying a system where we paint manual valves a particular color on the valve body to designate if it should be normally open or closed valve. A numbering system would be a bit daunting as we don't have the manpower to number every valve in the plant and update all the P&ID's. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree.

arieleb said:
A numbering system would be a bit daunting as we don't have the manpower to number every valve in the plant and update all the P&ID's.

I do not wish to offend, but is that your opinion or that of The Powers That Be? If TPTB have decided that it is less expensive to absorb the financial losses and the statistically inevitable loss of human life of the existing approach than the cost of providing and implementing such a system, I for one would have grave doubts about continuing to work there...

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Check out:
Smithflowcontrol.com

They offer sequenced valve key systems which are very flexible and force operators to follow specific valve operating sequences. It is not clear how complicated your line-ups may be, but these sequences can be be designed pretty flexible. This is how we manage locked valves, spare relief valve line-ups, bypasses, spare equipment, and other sequenced operations.

Good luck,
Sshep

I didn't even know there were plants where you don't number your equipment :)
I don't see how numbering the valves can be much more work than painting them. That is the first key to having proper operating instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back