Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

manually measured thread.. stupid question. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMotionGuy

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2010
US
I've been asked to have some parts re-made.. But the old drawings have been lost in the abyss. So, I had to get out my thread gauge and micrometer/caliper.

The question is: If i measure a male thread at 1-5/8"-12, and the female at 1-1/2"-12. What am I going to call out for the respective threads in the drawing?

Do I call out 1-1/2"-12 or the 1-5/8"-12? I'm not sure which correlates to the tap/die sizes.

Sorry this is kind of a stupid question... but hey..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your dimensions are major diameter for external thread and minor diameter for internal thread? Then use the external thread major diameter, that is the basis for the pair.

Why did you even bother inspecting the female thread if you know the parts mate and they aren't so critical that verification of class is likely to be required?

Just measure the easier to access male.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Well, I had only female threads available. The other piece was in use in our manufacturing dept. There was a production run going, so i had to wait for it to be taken apart and cleaned before I could get to it.

Also, like I said in my original post, I didn't know whether I needed to call out the male or female diameter.

But thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back