Manufacturers of Flanged Fittings? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strumund

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2006
US
Hi,

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that manufacture large diameter flanged fittings according to ASME B16.5? If not, what schedule and size of tee would be required to meet an ANSI Class 900 10 inch tee?
Is the best bet to get a scheduled butt weld end pipe tee and weld a welding neck class 900 flange to it? (Bore of the flange specified to be the same as the pipe schedule)
If so where should I look for fabrication/purchase?

Thanks for any help,

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Strumund: The only integrally flanged fittings I've ever seen have been for lined systems like PTFE-lined or glass-lined pipe. Though the flanged fittings in accordance with B16.5 are tabulated and dimensions are given, I've never actually seen one. That doesn't mean that integrally flanged carbon- or stainless steel fittings don't exist, but I've personally never seen one and am not aware of anybody who sells them. Since you need to weld to make up the straight lengths of pipe generally anyway, flanges are not usually installed on all three connections of a tee- they're only installed only where they're required. Butt welding fittings and weld-neck flanges are what you'd normally see at 10" size and 900# class.

As to what schedule of pipe/fittings matches a flange class, that's a service-specific question. The butt-welding tees and other fittings have schedules which match the schedule of pipe you're using. The required schedule is determined based on material safe allowable stress for the service condition, corrosion allowance and lots of other factors. Depending on these factors, different schedules are needed to match a flange class. At 900# class, it's unlikely the schedule will be lighter than sch 40, but it may require XXS- without more information, nobody can tell you the correct answer.

Monkeydog: Thanks for the reference it's always good to find another supplier for flanges, I guess I should have been more clear on my question. Stainless Plate Products manufactures Flanges to Class 900, but it doesn't look like they manufacture 'Flanged Fittings' or as moltenmetal said 'integrally flanged fittings'.

Cockroach: Swagelok and Crane only seemed to carry smaller diameter fittings unless I am way off in my search. For TIW is that TIW Corp in Texas? Do you know if they have a website?

moltenmetal: That seems to be the same problem I am running into as far as finding an actual 'Flanged Fitting' manufactured in accordance with the tabulated values from B16.5. Usually you wouldn't connect a flange to all three connections of the tee, but for this particular application it needs to be removable in sections. The working pressure in the line will be approximately 1200-1500 psi using a fluid that is slightly acidic, but all other properties can be considered as water. The tee will either need to be stainless or carbon steel with an epoxy coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back