Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

map meshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwf

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2007
US

Any advise on how to map mesh circular shapes, such as a cylinder, or ball?

CYLIND, 0.016/2, 0, 0.022/2, 0.025/2, 0, 360

Any written macros published on the web?

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using the input you've given I would simply take and divide the circular area into 4 triangular sections and map mesh those and sweep subsequently as Alex suggested. You can also map mesh spherical or ball shaped objects as well with hex elements although it's a little more complex.

A good way of meshing a sphere is to first split off a cylinder with domed ends by splitting straight through the centre of the sphere with a cylindrical face, the diameter should be between 1/3 and 1/2 that of the sphere. This part can be meshed as described above, then the remaining part can be swept if it is cut into 2 halves (cut in the direction of the cylinder axis, leaving c shaped parts) and sweeping around the circumferential direction.

Square in the middle. Four four-sided areas with 90deg arc on each side of the square. Largest angle will be 135deg, below limits for most 4node elements.

I am having trouble meshing a hollow sphere (2m diameter, thickness 35mm) that will form a hub for a turbine. There are 2 opposite flat faces that will form internal bolted flanges. There are also 3 equi spaced locations around the sphere where turbine blades will be attached on raised flat faces (modelled as a projected circle onto the external face of the sphere).

Does anyone have a good technique that will allow me to mesh this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back