Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marine 2 stroke engine is dead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jejtopgun

Automotive
Mar 7, 2005
DE
Hi everyone,

I was really suprised to sea that most of the marine engine manufacturer have removed their 2 stroke engine from their program. This has a major impact of small application like jetskis for example : the weight is increasing greatly, same for the fuel consumption.

Does any one knows why the manufacturers did not move to 2 stroke engine with high pressure direct injection ( not the orbital system :-(( ), compressor and special pistons ?

Is there anyone developing something in this direction ?
Is there a market ?
I am thinking starting a project to build a 2 stroke engine for jetski and small boat, who could be possible partners ?

Thanks to you all in advance

Jerome Douay
Team74

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jerome,
I suspect the reason has more to do with emissions standards becoming increasingly stringent than any technical reason related to the manufacture.

Cheers , Pete.

Pete,

I definitely agree with you ! The step made first in California and then in the rest of the USA is fairly drastic and make the changes difficult to implement for the manufacturer. However, the solutions are there, just have to put them together. We have proved in the past that it works.

I am also award that this come to a cost question, however I strongely beleive that a 2 stroke engine with compressor, direct injection and special pistons is fairly cheaper to build and to run.

Well, I am sure that I must be missing something :)))

Jerome Douay
Team74

Jet:

Evinrude has committed to two stroke. They have a design they call etech. It looks to me like it is the engine to watch. Very low emission, light weight, responsive to throttle.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back