Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Marketing/Starting Issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,
Im with a small group of R&D and we have developed a brand new machine for the agriculture field. However we do not know how we should start advertising or marketing. It seems like everyone is following a certain path that they do not allow new devices. For us it has been kind of difficult since none of us have any good ideas of how we can reach our clients. In the period of 1 1/2 and nothing has come up. If you have any input we would really appreciate it....

many thanks,

juan.morales@mailcity.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have a working demo version of your product? If so put it to work, go to some farmers and offer to demonstrate it for them and get their feedback. If the product works then they will tell others and the marketing can start.

Do you have sufficient funds to properly get this item off the ground? Do you have the funds to go the trade show route? That always gets your idea in front of potential investors and customers.

Do you have manufacturing set up? If you got a lot of orders from the trade show can you fill them?

I think that you should have some marketing experts look over your product, its market and give you some professional advise in this area. You may also need accounting, legal and other experts to advise you.

Spending 1 ½ (years?) is a long time. If the idea has merit then take it further. If others and potential customers do not think that the idea has merit then perhaps it is time to move on.
Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

I think I know how you feel since I was probably in the same position as you. What worked for us was a whole bunch of direct mail to our customers. We are located in TX and here you can probably find anything, I will look around and let you know if friends of mine can give you a hand with launching your project so please give me the following info.
what type of product do you work with?
what quantities?
Where in the USA can you find farmers that do that?
any info like that could help to give you extra input..

fabmetalman
lovetxall

If you have a prototype take it around to agricultural trade shows and independent dealers. If an equipment dealer figures he can sell it at a decent margin he'll let you know.

Since you are about to sell your product, couldn't you tell
us what it is ? The advice may depend on the product, too .
<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Dear Juan

Unless & until the prospects (Farmers) are aware of the product which you have developed for them, nobody would be interested to buy.

This community is huge & way to reach them are galore. You have to make choices. First take sample of few farmers (from various backgroud/ region) show them your product take their feedback make the needed improvements & then go for big launch.

You can then give advertisement in local news paper & then shift to upper gear.

First thing to do is to go in the market & sell it & improvise.

basav

surprising ! nearly one year has passed ! no response from engfarmer to different questions by participants.What is wrong?

I would look closely at the competition and see how they do it.
I have seen people in the construction businesses selling machines with Sales Reps with various areas.

Are you in Canada??? I have just attended a seminar about R&D Tax Grants. The government is willing to give 1/3 to 2/3 of your R&D costs. You only have to prove to them it is truly R&D This is very unused here. I have had two customers that have used it with out a problem. I have also heard that large Automotive and aircraft companys are using this to cut costs.
They are trying to spur on new growth of business.

I realise this isn't about marketing but if it helps.

Rick Marmei - Tool Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back