Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Marketing Your Company? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDredger

Civil/Environmental
Jan 16, 2008

I’ve been with a new company for about a year now, and hired as project manager. I took on some projects from a predecessor who left them out of budget and in a shambles. Needless to say, the entire last year for me has been putting out one fire after the next. Unfortunately due to the multiple problems experienced, the main client has decided not to work with us anymore.

At any rate, I am now in a position of needing to find new clients and work, so I’ve been directed to start a marketing campaign. I do remember my marketing training from engineering school 13 years ago, it was about a two sentence lecture from a professor who never left the academia.

I have tried cold calling from data base of developers and architects I got from a friend of a friend, without any success. Have any of you tried cold calling? It is harder than it seems. I give about a 15 second spiel, then ask if they need my services. Most are polite but generally the response is ‘no, we’re good, thanks’.

My company also has this color flier, a brochure that extols our virtues and experience and so on, which I have sent out to the same contacts above with a one page cover letter. I imagine they are received with a cursory glance on the way to the trashcan.

Do any of you have any tips or things I might try? I imagine persistence is the watchword. Research the company, know the contact names, etc.. How about articles or reference materials I might look at?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RLM2000 said:
It is sort of like picking up women at a bar. I even feel a little sleazy after a day of that kind of schmoozing.
Yes, but do you call them in the morning ;-)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

RLM, star for you.
The pick up line is cool, the other saying goes:
If you want to get married, you've got to hang out with married people. More appropriate.
Not at the bar where it usulay is a one night stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back