Marks Handbook - 12th vs. 11th Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laserxenon

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hello,

I am going to be purchasing either of the two mentioned editions of Marks to have for taking the Mechanical PE exam and later for my library. On Amazon I found the following commentary about the 12th edition:

Though revised and added two new chapter [Applied Mechanics and Engineering Ethics], it is missing 8 chapters from 11th Edition namely: Chapter 1: Mathematical Tables and Measuring Units; Chapter 2: Mathematics; Chapter 10: Materials Handling; Chapter 12: Building Construction and Equipment; Chapter 13: Manufacturing Processes; Chapter 17: Industrial Engineering; and Chapter 20: Emerging Technologies. 11th Edition has 1939 pages but this new edition only contains 1536 pages.. 400 pages missing from the previous edition..marketed as student (based on B&N description)?

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? This is either a ~$120 or $175 investment so I wanted to hear if anyone could elaborate.

Many thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That bookmarking is what has done you in!!

The wedge action page being bookmarked would be an ironic occurrence.

My 11th edition has declined in openings-per-week over the last decade. I tend to reach for Machinery's Handbook more. Oh, the horror....

jgKRI,

Here is my 21st Edition Machinery's Handbook, used here as a weight while I dovetail something.

MachineryHandbook.jpeg

I replaced this with the 26th edition sometime around 2000. Back in my drafting board days, the 21st edition was opened daily. My 26th edition still looks good. I do not use it nearly as much.

--
JHG

3DDave, it was more that $125 and $175 are decent sums of money, not that either wouldn't be worth it

drawoh, I am primarily picking it up for a reference book for the Mechanical PE exam and of course for potential use afterwards.

HPost, where did you find this PDF?

chicopee, the Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual (MERM, study guide for the exam) recommended having Marks during the exam and yes I have passed me EIT :)

Thanks all for the feedback!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back