Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marlow Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

aorsi

Bioengineer
Dec 29, 2010
US
Hello,

I have hyperelastic test data that has fit perfectly with a Marlow Model in abaqus. But for some reason when I use a Tet mesh my simulations will not converge. However, when I mesh the structure with a HEX mesh, it converges when I use "advanced hourglass control". Is there any way I can get a Tet mesh to work with the marlow model? is there a similar feature that accounts for hourglassing with hyperelasticity for a tetrahedral mesh element?

Thanks a bunch!

-Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alex,

Are you using first-order or second-order tets? First-order tets are fully integrated and therefore don't hourglass, but they don't resolve the stress very well and can cause lack of convergence. The "regular" second-order tets (C3D10 or C3D10H) are more accurate and don't hourglass, but can cause problems with shear or volumetric locking or hard contact. The other option is the "modified" second-order tets (C3D10M and C3D10MH) which fix the contact and locking problems but can hourglass. I would try these alternatives and see if any work.

In any case make sure you're using hybrid (...H) elements for this material.

Dear InvariantL,

Thanks so much. I had actually just talked with a colleague and this was exactly what he had said. My problem was that I was using linear tets instead of quadratic (second order). Now my models run beautifully. I will most likely need to account for contact in the future, so I will look into the modified second order tets for that. I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back