Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Masonry partition base detail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiEngr

Structural
Oct 19, 2021
US
Anybody have recommendations for the base of a CMU wall partition to a slab on steel floor deck connection? I have 2” composite deck + 3 1/4” LW concrete. I am thinking of embedding the vert bars 2.5” into the slab below with HY200 adhesive but not sure if there is a better option.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The loading is fairly small. I’m assuming #4@48” reinforcement which is overkill, but I’ve never reinforced a masonry wall any less than that. The wall will be pinned at its top. Thus, base loading for out of plane pressure of 7 psf is around 50 plf.

I recommend you put mortar on the slab and set the blocks on that. In my opinion, it's better than the minor damage you do to the slab with multiple unnecessary holes.

Is the design engineered or prescribed/conventional? If the latter, for partitions it is unlikely that they need to be reinforced and the unsupported height can be approx 2x a load bearing wall. As kipfoot notes, just construct it on the slab, assuming the slab can accept the new loading.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Kipfoot, that might work for non-seismic areas. Based on the OP's point that they have never used less than #4 @ 48" o.c., they're likely in a high seismic area though.

I would have no issue embedding the bars a few inches though if the walls checked for OOP seismic. If the walls aren't satisfactory for OOP seismic, then just tighten up your spacing until the concrete breakout check works.

If it is a CMU partition, I am assuming there has to be some sort of structural beam under it to meet L/600 with headed studs (ie the composite deck). If you are worried about it, you could have the headed studs be long enough to extend into the CMU?

@masonrygeek: My seismic design category is C. Per TMS402 Section 7.4.3.1, I need to provide either vertical or horizontal reinforcement as indicated. I am planning on providing #4@56" vertical reinforcement. I just didn't know if it was worth doweling those bars into the slab on deck.

Last time I did this I believe they embedded the bars into the slab and turned them up a bit, probably 2 or 3 courses. You can have the rebar set in the lower flutes and bend up.

I've used the epoxy detail before, but I've also see that detail with the bars embedded and turned up. For the contractors I deal with I am almost 100% sure they would "forget" to install the embedded bars and I would get an RFI to epoxy the bars anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back