Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MASS AND AREA IN CUSTOM PROPERTIES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

packmen

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2001
BR
HOW CAN I SHOW MASS AND AREA OF A PART IN Kg AND m² UNITS IN THE CUSTOM PROPERTIES USING AN EQUATION?
I ALLREADY KNOW HOW TO PUT THESE DATA AUTOMATICALLY IN A SHEET FORMAT
BUT THEY COME IN g AND mm²

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I Know a quick and cheerful method for you. set the units of your part to meters and then when you create your drawing your mass property info will appear as Meters and Kgs, then insert your dimensions, (again these will be shown in Meters) window select them all and do a right hand mouse buttton to activate their props, in there you can choose to select the individual units, ie mm.

There is possibly another method by draging a design table into your part, (you don't need to create a family of parts) just one, and you can link custom props in there and use the power of excel to tweak the units to the values you need.

hope this helps.

Actually, you do not need to change the format of your part or drawing units. Go into Tools > Mass Properties and hit the Options button. This is where you would specify the units for the mass property details. Then, if you want mass in whole numbers, your model would not be affected. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

I'm still having a problem with the units in the Bill of Materials
they come in mm2 and in grams even after i change it in the mass properties option.
what can I do???

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were after.

The units for the BOM are driven from the units specified in the drawing document.

Here are a few ways that you could possible work around this:
1. Try the method described by Demojock to manually change the units of the dimensions so they show properly. You would have to set your drawing document to Kg and m^2 and override the units of the dimensions to mm.
2. Manually override the BOM. This is quite unfavorable since you would lose the automatic linking of your dimensions in the BOM.
3. You could also write a VB application or macro that will do either of these tasks for you automatically, but if you are not familiar with the SolidWorks API, this may take some serious time. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

If it is the BOM that you want to change, you maybe apple to tweak the BOM template in excel,

If you add a new column to the BOM template and link the information from the mass column to this one plus the scale factor for the units required. you could then hide the original mass column so that it is not seen in your drawings.

this should work, check the solidworks help files on "Bills of Materials" it will tell you what to name the columns.

If you need a little bit more help then drop you email on the next message and I will see If I can not make and send you a new BOM.

"you maybe ABLE to tweak the BOM template in excel,"

Why is there never a spell checker in these forums?

demojock.

ps. too lazy to write it in MS word first!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back