Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mass Assign Component Properties 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angothoron

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2012
Hello,

My workplace has been using Component properties to fill in the template for a Drawing, but I see the possibility of using them to help me input data into a costing excel file combined with the export BOM function.

However neither of these component properties (Surface Area and Mass) have been used before in any existing components. Is there a way either at the assembly or even better directory level for me to add these two component properties without overwriting those which already exist.

To add insult to injury anything related to EPDM is not available at this time.

Any help would be appreciated, manually playing with BOM's is not amusing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attach is a macro to add these two properties in the files in the specified folder. You can edit the macro to have custom properties or configuration specific properties.

You might have to fix the missing libraries

[ol 1]
[li]Extract the file to know location.[/li]
[li]Open SolidWorks (SW) and go to Tools > Macro > Edit. This will open the browse window.[/li]
[li]Browse to the extracted macro file.[/li]
[li]This will open macro editor. Go to Tools > References in the macro editor.[/li]
[li]Un-check the libraries with missing symbol and select the required libraries based on your SW version.[/li]
[li]Edit the paths as required[/li]
[li]Save and close the macro.[/li]
[li]Now run the macro via Tools > Macro > Run and browse to this saved macro.[/li]
[li]You get a pop up window to select the folder location of the part files. In case you don't see that, press Alt + Tab to get to that window after you run the macro.[/li]
[li]Test the macro on sample files before running on the actual data.[/li]
[/ol]

Deepak Gupta
CSWE, CSWP, CSDA
SW 2012 SP5.0 & 2013 SP 1.0 EV
Boxer's SolidWorks™ Blog
SolidWorks™ Rendering Contest

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d3b17788-49fa-46d2-9e02-d98a1de41fdf&file=Batch_File_Prop_(Part_files).swp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back