Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Editing of Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreaq

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2005
CA
Does anyone know of a program/utility that will edit the SW Properties, in mass? Meaning, I can select a bunch of SW files, and add/remove/change any properties, and voila, away it goes.

I am aware of propagator, but I'm looking for others,

Thanks in advance,

phreaq
Has anyone seen my brain today? (^_^)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

right click on part name and select Apperance. Then click Edit Metarial. Select any metarial name and click Create/Edit Metarial button. In Database Selection section select <New Material Database> then save your database. input your material group and name. Fill visual and physcial properties.

hmmm, thanks mkysoft,

perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I dind't mean the mass, and in the weight of something, but doing a bunch of files all at once.

I guess the correct term is "en masse", but I couldn't figure out how to edit my post :)

phreaq

Have you tried using the "Update Custom Properties" in the SolidWorks Task Scheduler?

We use Propagator at my company, but I know the task scheduler does it also...not sure how well though!

Boottmills [soapbox]
SW2006 SP3.0

hey boottmills,

I'm giving the task scheduler a spin now, but what about this scenario.

I have a property named "part number", an example value is "123-7654". I want to change the "123" to "456" but keep the rest, so the new value is "456-7654"

it seems task scheduler will not allow these types of changes.

phreaq

thanks for the help guys, that should give me a few thoughts to play with.

as for why I don't wanna use propagator.... not sure really, just some of the guys I work with used it in the past and weren't too happy with it.

phreaq

I've used Propagator (free version for several years & purchased version for several months) and find it a very useful & capable program. It will not do what you want per your last post though.

Check out the Batch rename in Solidworks tutorial at The link is just below the last image on the page.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back