Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass/Flow Meter? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayRogers

Electrical
Dec 19, 2001
US
I have a need for a flow meter that can measure water: 3nL/pulse, 1 pulse per second, so that the accumulated accuracy for 30nl is better than .3 nL.
Any suggestions? We are trying weighing with a pecision scale but the water keeps evaporating. I can control the evaporation, but would prefer to buy an off the shelf instruments.

Ray

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe a Thermal Liquid flow meter? (standard smallest range 0-12.5 mg/hr normally) You can ask manufacurers how low they can go. The smallest corioles meters go down to 50 g/hr, but there are rumours smaller ranges are on the way.

We have solved the problem. It turns out that there is a
market in Pipetters for medical research putposes. These
managed to satisfy our needs.

tomramey,
Thanks, but the resolution doesn't seem adequate. The design reminds me of an idea I had to make a 0 pressure drop flow meter using a higher order control loop to drive a pump just so that the pressure drop around the pump was zero. I envisioned a smooth spiral type of rotor.
Never did anything with it though. Just an idea when we wanted to experimental monitor flow without disturbing the flow.

Thanks again
Ray

Ray --
not a bad idea, doesn't sound to energy-efficient though, lasers, optical, magnetic, all the non-contact technologies are comig along steadily, in terms of non-invasive flow measurement. Last thing the world needs is another flowmeter, also, there are thousands of designs and embodiments. Anyway, enjoy the Veteran's Day holiday, I'm doing some landscaping/gardening myself, just checking in on email every hour or two to keep the empire rolling. Ciao!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back