Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mass of components 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhmeng

Aerospace
Apr 9, 2015
US
I have an assembly (built with several sub-assemblies) with roughly 100 parts in it. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a print out of all of the masses and materials of the piece parts in the assembly? I started going one by one but I figured there had to be a better way, a macro or something. i know that you can do it by creating a BOM and then exporting to excel. But all of my piece parts have units of lbs and I want them all in grams, I cant think of a way of doing this without opening up each and every piece part.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@DrBwts: yea exporting to excel and converting would work but it is kind of slow and also i have several sub-assemblies which do not show piece parts masses
@ctopher: I think i could make a macro as your link described, but I would still need to open up all of my piece parts...
@CADFlyer: this is exactly what I was looking for, I had no idea of this feature and it works so well you probably saved me days worth of work thank you so much for showing me this...

Thanks for all the help

rhmeng,

Definitely, you can add the component mass to your Excel BOM. Probably, you can add it to the SolidWorks BOM. Use the exploded BOM and you will see all your masses.

Read the manual.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back