Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Degree = Raise? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivilTom

Civil/Environmental
Oct 13, 2012
US
Is it safe to say that a master degree (related to your work) will get you a raise? What is the typical raise % given after completeing your masters?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CivilTom
The fact that the company is paying for your Masters in itself is a BIG bonus. I say take the opportunity; what you learn will stay with you and even if you do not get extra money you still gain. I think it would be a bit over that after the company is paying for your education you expect them to pay you extra. They can opt not to pay for your education and not to pay you extra. How is that as an alternative?
In my experience what you learn will always come in handy.

Generally no, you aren't going to get a raise when you get a higher degree unless you get promoted to a position that requires the degree. You would think that if a company was going to pay for your degree that it would be in their interest to put you in a position where that degree would be put to use rather than simply let you take your education and leave. I used to work with a lab technician who went to night school and got his BSME. When he graduated he was told, sorry we don't have any openings for mechnaical engineers at this time. The told him they would be willing to change his title to test engineer but they would not give him engineer pay. Two months later he was gone.

Generally the only way to get more money when you get a degree while working is to change jobs. Don't worry about what some folks are implying about loyalty or burning bridges. If your company no longer found your services necessarry you wouldn't even get the luxury of two weeks notice. It's business, not personal. My loyalty to my employer extends only as far as they write me a check for my work, and as long as the check and the work are suitable to my needs and desires I will continue to work for them and do the best job I can. When the situation is no longer suitable to me, I go elsewhere. Just business.

With all that being said, there is more to life than money. If your current job is your dream job and they don't give you a raise when you get your MS, leaving might not be a such a good idea if it is just over money. A high paying job you hate absolutely sucks no matter how big the paycheck is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back