Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Master of Science v. Master of Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

trchambe

Electrical
Oct 8, 2009
US
I'm considering enrolling in a masters program... I was thinking Master of Engineering (I am done with my BS and working). However, a recent thread was posted with the opinion that an MS was better than an M.Eng, that got me rethinking.

My thought was that the two are nearly the same... the only difference is the 1-3 courses (depending on school) that are replaced by a thesis in the MS program. Do employers view the two degrees differently? For someone with a BS, done with school and working, and plans to earn the degree online, which one would be more appropriate?

The two programs are advertised as the MS being for research or PhD and the M.Eng being for work experience. I'm just curious if that's how they're actually viewed outside of academia.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You've pretty much hit on the differences between the two. Most employers probably won't give much care to whether you do MS or ME, unless they specifically require a MS for some reason. I don't believe one is necessarily better than the other, just depends on what you want to do. Usually, the extra 1-3 courses instead of the thesis will serve you better in the "working" world, but not always. A thesis or master's report will give you a comprehensive, documented proof of your research/writing capabilities to share with future prospective employers.

Doesn't that depend on what YOU want to get out of this exercise? What is the end purpose of the extra degree? Are you designing widgets, or pursuing research? Are you specializing in something unique in your discipline?

Most companies, I don't think, care about the nuances of your degree, just:
> Are you qualified and can you do the job being applied for?
> Are you going to be disatisfied with the job and bail in short order?
> Is your salary commensurate with what they are offering?
> Do you present yourself well?
> Are you sufficiently articulate to demonstrate competency?
> Are you actually knowledgeable in your discipline?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Where in the world are you located?

In the UK for a 'taught' masters, MEng is more common in engineering. In face an MS is pretty rare unless things have changed since my time in school.

On the other hand MPhil are fairly common for researched based Masters.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I faced the same question halfway into my masters program and came to the realization that I would not have the time or the resources available to do justice to a thesis.

Did the extra 2 or 3 classes make a difference? I can't really say, but the whole program made me a much better technical engineer as my BS degree came in the era of main frame computers on campus and slide rules for classroom calculations.

The M. Eng. degree (Dec. 2006) really forced me to become computer literate and that has been a big plus back in the real world.

Financially it really has not made a difference. No raise or promotion upon the completion. I ended up working for 3 different employers in the time it took me to get the degree and 2 of the 3 did reimburse me for my tuition and book costs. My present employer did not, but by then I was 90+% done and I wasn't going to quit the program just because it was not being reimbursed.

As the others have said - your choice really depends on what your future plans are. The M. Eng. degree may limit future options to some extent.

Good Luck!

gjc

Also keep in mind it's not universal what those terms mean. At most U.S. universities that offer both, the MS involves research and a thesis and the MEng doesn't although it may have more hands-on work, and might be a shorter program than the MS, but I ran into at least one place (UC Berkeley, maybe?) where it was the opposite.

I'm with IRStuff. Go with what you need from the program. If there's any possibility you might want to go on for a PhD, then do the MS. If you're quite sure you won't, then go with whatever program aligns most closely with your interests.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Thank you all for your comments. I'm in the United States, by the way. I should have mentioned that.

I don't expect my salary to increase significantly. I am mostly considering it for personal interest and because my employer will reimburse education. I'll give it some thought and decide which I'd prefer.

This has been covered in previous posts, so do a search. ME and MS are basically the same, it's just a matter of the indivudual school and what they call their programs. I have one of each, and they are both engineering degrees.

I am currently studying for an MSc in England having completed a BEng in Materials Engineering several years previously. My decision was based entirely on the availabilty of Masters programmes in materials engineering, or lack of as the case was.

To be entirely honest, as an employer, I wouldn't care if you had an MSc, MTech, MPhil, PHD, MEng or any other post-grad qualification unless you had a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate the work you undertook at post-grad level. A thesis or research project demonstrates an ability to investigate, analyse and present data to your future or current employers. I think any masters programme that does not involve a thesis or project should be avoided..

In the UK as I recall, unless things have changed, an MEng (or I guess MSc) were 'taught' masters however they still involved a substantial individual or often group project that was a big chunk of your final grade.

MPhil was effectively half a Phd or something like that, entirely research/project based.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back