Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mastering basic structure analysis behind sap2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP USER ELITE

Structural
Oct 12, 2017
EG
Can anyone recommend a book on finite element method or stiffness method to further understand how SAP2000 engine works and minimize my analysis mistakes, also to be able to fully comprehend the CSI Knowledge base tips and instructions..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a big SAP2000 user but so far as I'm aware, CSI's manuals refer quite frequently to Ed Wilson's books and research so that might be a good starting point for understanding some of the software's inner workings (here's a partial online version of one of his books : This, along with the analysis manuals themselves should give you a good idea of how the program needs to be used.

If you're a beginner and want a better idea about the finite element method itself, I'd recommend Daryl Logan's first course in the finite element method. It gives a good idea about the underlying theory and even has a bit of practical information. If you already have some grounding in FEA then Zienkiewicz's first two volumes (Vol 1:Basics, Vol 2: Solid Mechanics) can offer some good insights.

Thanks so much for the link andorrax1 !

Jason McKee
proud R&D Manager of
Cross Section Analysis & Design
Software for the structural design of cross sections
Moment Curvature Analysis
Interaction Diagrams
Reinforcement Design etc.

For basic FEM concepts on Matrix methods, I really like McGuire, Gallagher, and Ziemian's book "Matrix Structural Analysis". Now, it is almost exclusively frame elements. But, it does a really good job introducing shape functions, 2nd order effects and such.

For more complex concepts I tend to look at a few different references. Ed Wilson's book is good for dynamics. KJ Bathe's book is good for plate and shell element formulations. There is also a book by MacNeal that offers a good discussions on various types of elements and where their weaknesses are.

A very classic book is "Finite Element Procedures" by Klaus-Jürgen Bathe. If you prefer something simpler, you could take a look at feaforall.com website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back